Do you think healthy living has to be all-or-nothing? No way! Making easy tweaks to your daily life, a few positive daily steps in the right direction, can have a HUGE impact on your health!
These are quick, easy ways to make every day a little more healthy! Start today and pass these habits onto your children too!
- Add vegetables or fruit to your breakfast. This is a simple boost to your day – make it a habit! Sprinkling some frozen berries into your morning oatmeal, cutting up some banana into your cereal, putting a bit of chopped frozen spinach into the pan before you cook your eggs, adding a slice of tomato to your breakfast sandwich are some easy ways to make this one positive step that gets more antioxidants into your body – first thing in the morning!
- Snack. Instead of going hungry and grabbing a candy bar or sugar laden coffee in the afternoon, avoid that energy slump that induces mad cravings and the need for a sugar rush. Make it a habit to have a palm full of nuts and a fruit or vegetable every single day, a couple of hours after breakfast and lunch. You will eat less at lunch and you can avoid the afternoon crash. You will also have more energy and stable blood sugar!
- Sneak vegetables into everything. Just buy them weekly and commit to using them up! Chop fresh spinach or kale in the food processor and add to everything – enchiladas, casseroles, stir fry, spaghetti sauce…everything. It is hardly noticeable but is a great healthy boost with hardly any effort!
- Eat at home. If you find yourself eating almost every meal out, I know some people are on the go all day long, commit to eating at least one meal at home that you normally wouldn’t. If you’re running around all day and you won’t be home until the late evening, instead of grabbing dinner out have a healthy snack instead. Then when you get home, eat your meal. Even if it is some eggs with vegetables, oatmeal with banana, cereal with some chopped berries or a sandwich with lettuce and tomato. Making this one switch can help. Hopefully it will lead to you keeping a few quick, healthy meal options in the refrigerator or freezer every week that you can fall back on, or making a big batch of soup or chili to have on those nights. Give it a shot!
- Drink tea. Even if it is swapping out one cup of coffee per day for tea, give it a shot – you may be surprised that you don’t miss that kick of caffeine and all of the sugar or fat that can go into that coffee. Don’t drink much at all during the day? Try to pour yourself a cup of tea. Get a couple of boxes of some yummy flavored green or herbal teas that appeal to you. Keep them at your desk or out on the counter, warm up a mug of water, add the tea bag and let it sit a few minutes. Since I started doing this I absolutely love having tea a few times per day and it has become a healthy habit I’m happy to keep! It is an easy way to ensure I’m getting extra water every day and it also has a calming effect (herbal of course and decaf green varieties). I personally love Chai green tea and lemon-ginseng and cinnamon herbal teas.
P.S. Have you subscribed to my blog yet? I’ll send you a free gift “Mesa de Vida’s Guide to Healthy Family Favorites” – don’t miss it! Sign up HERE! Want help reaching your goals – putting healthy meals on the family table or losing weight, once and for all? I lost over 100 pounds by transforming my life – let me help you reach your goals too! Check it out!