Creamy Butternut Squash & Cauliflower Soup…Or How Can I Stuff As Many Vegetables As Possible Into My Kids
I want to share with you one of my new favorite soups. I’ve made my traditional butternut squash soup hundreds of times, for my family as well as my personal chef clients. But this time I made it for my family and did a little something different: I was on a mission to cram as many servings of vegetables as possible into them!
See, it was Halloween week. Fall festivals at school, all of that Halloween candy, plus, Mama (me) had a busy week and we had eaten out a couple of extra times that week. While we try to make the best choices possible when eating out, the kids do end up getting a soda usually (we don’t ever have it at home), or not eating as many vegetables in their meal as they would had we eaten a homemade meal at home.
I had a butternut squash, carrots, celery, onions (all of the traditional ingredients for butternut squash soup) plus a head of cauliflower I decided to add to it. I had homemade vegetable broth, full of vitamins and goodness too.
I was going to cram them full of anti-oxidant goodness in a yummy soup they would scarf down without a complaint. They’ll thank me some day!
Anyway, this is super easy, super delicious and now one of my favorites. It only takes a few minutes to prep all of the ingredients too, then pretty much is hassle free after that. This is a great candidate for making once a week when you’re cleaning the house or whatever, then having it on hand for lunch or after school snacks all week. This soup is vegetarian (vegan if you leave out the half and half), gluten free and 100% all natural goodness! Enjoy!
- 2 tsp healthy oil/fat of your choice
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1" cubes (or substitute 2-10 oz bags frozen butternut squash cubes)
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 3 big pinches Kosher/sea salt (less if using broth with salt)
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tsp dried thyme (or throw in 3-4 fresh stems, remove before pureeing)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 6 cups vegetable broth, homemade or high quality organic
- 1/2 cup half and half, optional
- Heat a large soup pot over medium heat, when hot add oil, swirl to coat. Add all of the ingredients except lemon juice, broth and half and half. Saute until the ingredients are fragrant, about 5 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and broth. Bring to a boil, cover and lower the heat. Simmer for about 30 minutes until the cauliflower and squash are soft. Using an immersion blender (or carefully transferring to a blender in batches) puree until completely smooth, thick and creamy. Stir in the half and half and warm for 5 more minutes. Add a bit more salt if necessary, serve and enjoy!
Cheers, may your day be delicious!
Sign up to receive my free newsletter! Get updated when new recipes are added, tips to help you create a healthy new family legacy, inspiration about my own 100 pound weightloss and exclusive discounts for newsletter members only! I also send you a free gift, Mesa de Vida’s Guide To Healthy Family Favorites, upon signing up! 5 classic meals “healthified”, tips on stocking a healthy pantry and tips to make better tasting recipes, naturally! Enter your email and it will be on it’s way!
Want more body and soul nourishing recipe inspiration? Check out all of my recipes, categorized to find just what you need!
Healthy family & gluten free weeknight dinner menus to help take the guess work out of healthy eating! Chef-designed…and delicious!