Healthy German Chocolate Cake Bites – And A FREE download of Mesa de Vida’s Healthy Entertaining eBook #1!
I mean, these look amazing, right?
(Not only will you get this recipe but keep reading to get your FREE download of my first Healthy Entertaining eBook with this recipe, PLUS 4 more amazing, quick and easy recipes to put out at your next event that will make you look like the host(ess) with the mostest!)
They taste amazing too.
Best of all – these little babies are not only all of that, they are easy to make (about 2 minutes of prep) and they are SUPER NUTRITIOUS!
I found the original recipe for this over on the Uber-cool ChocolateCoveredKatie.com blog. I am not a dessert extraordinaire, I am more of a savory chef, so I turn to this site when I want healthy dessert inspiration. I highly recommend checking out this site if you don’t already follow it.
She calls her recipe German Chocolate Fudge Bites, and they were just the thing I needed.
I was preparing for a cooking demo at the Whole Foods in my area, hosted by the fabulous Renessa Rios, founder of Three Step Dating. I had the rest of the menu ready to go. Easy to make recipes that make you look like an AMAZING chef, take minutes to make AND are healthy too!
(Yep, keep going…you can get your complete eBook of these recipes to keep forever for FREE!)
So when I found the recipe over at CCK, I knew it was the beginning of the perfect finish to this perfect menu.
I just needed to make it just a tad dressier. Don’t get me wrong, they are perfect the way they are. They are fudgy, moist, perfect. They are better than any candy, AND more satisfying. They are gluten free and vegan. Full of fiber. Plus they have no added sugar, and are full of nutritious ingredients. This treat is good for you! I keep them in the refrigerator for those times when you need something rich and chocolaty, pop them in the kids’ lunch boxes and tell them they’re candy. 🙂
The recipe was wonderful as-is, but I wanted to bump up the fancy factor a bit. Simply adding a cherry, popping them on a fancy skewer and dunking them in chocolate ganache (optional of course) took them over the top! The recipe in the eBook does have the recipe for the ganache, feel free to leave this out if you want to keep the recipe completely vegan. Or you can also just use some melted dark chocolate if you wish.
So – below is the recipe, but HERE is your chance to grab your FREE immediate download of the eBook “Easy Entertaining with Chef Kirsten – Recipes from the Heating Up The Kitchen cooking class.” If you’re already signed up for my newsletters, you had this land in your emails last month during the busy holiday entertaining season, as well as yesterday. Newsletter members get these little bonuses from time to time!
If you are not signed up for my free newsletters (weekly or so) with updates on new recipes that have been added and tips and more information to help you create a new healthy family legacy, I would love to have you sign up now and give you your FREE ebook download! You will get all of the above recipes to download to your computer and use for years to com! I protect your emails, I never spam or sell them. I just have this newsletter for those that would like updates from Mesa de Vida! Upon sign up you also get a free download of my Guide to Healthy Family Favorites, including tips to make every day recipes taste amazing, naturally!
All you have to do is enter your email address and name and they you’ll get your downloads! I will send you newsletters from time to time, if you don’t want them you can opt out anytime.
On to the recipe!
- Original recipe from *ChocolateCoveredKatie.com* - check out her site for LOADS of healthy dessert recipes!
- Makes about 16 small bites, I double the recipe though to keep more on hand.
- Skewers (get pretty picks to make your presentation more special)
- 1 cup soft dates (I get mine in the *bulk food heaven...ahem, section*)
- 1/2 cup pecans (also from the bulk food department for me)
- 2 Tb cocoa powder
- 2 Tb shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- tiny pinch of kosher/sea salt
- 16 pitted fresh cherries
- For the Ganache (optional)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 oz dark chocolate (chips or a bar cut into small pieces)
- Place the dates, coconut, cocoa, pecans, vanilla and salt into a food processor. Turn on the processor and allow it to run for about 30 seconds, stop and scrape down the sides, then process again for another 30 seconds. Taking about 1 tsp at a time, roll the mixture into balls. Refrigerate for about 1 hour or overnight. Skewer a pitted cherry, then the cake bite, then dip into ganache. Refrigerate until serving, up to overnight. Serve and enjoy!
- Bring the cream to a boil in a saucepan, as soon as it comes to a boil pour over the chocolate in a bowl. Slowly stir until the hot cream melts all of the chocolate and becomes smooth and creamy. Set aside. You will need about ¼ of this to dip the chocolate balls into.
- *Extra ganache? Make an amazing frosting by whipping at room temperature with electric beaters, or make chocolate truffles by refrigerating for 1 hour. Take 1 tsp size spoonfuls and roll into a ball. Roll in chopped nuts, shredded coconut, cocoa powder or crushed peppermint candies.
Didn’t grab your free downloads yet? Here you go! Enter your email address to get your FREE downloads!
Cheers, may your day be delicious!
Sign up to receive my free newsletter! Get updated when new recipes are added, tips to help you create a healthy new family legacy, inspiration about my own 100 pound weightloss and exclusive discounts for newsletter members only! I also send you a free gift, Mesa de Vida’s Guide To Healthy Family Favorites, upon signing up! 5 classic meals “healthified”, tips on stocking a healthy pantry and tips to make better tasting recipes, naturally! Enter your email and it will be on it’s way!
Want more body and soul nourishing recipe inspiration? Check out all of my recipes, categorized to find just what you need!
Healthy family & gluten free weeknight dinner menus to help take the guess work out of healthy eating! Chef-designed…and delicious!