I also wanted to share my hummus recipe because it is so darn easy and delicious. (Update – as of this time, months after posting, I have received feedback from countless people that have told me this is the best hummus they’ve ever had – yes, you can make the best tasting hummus too!)
I’m still on my mainly vegan diet and it is going well. I incorporated more grains this week and I’m feeling great! I’ve only had fish twice, dairy once in over a week and I do believe I have found what works best for my body. I feel very satisfied with level blood sugar, calm digestive tract and plenty of energy. I plan on continuing on with this eating style, having fish once or twice a week and chicken or beef only once a month or so. While I don’t feel this is for everyone, I personally find it makes me feel the best!
The hummus and mashed avocado add a good amount of protein too! Carrots for the veggie and some brown rice crackers to dip. Yum!
- 15 oz can chickpeas (Garbanzo beans), - (Use a BPA Free organic brand, or make your own) rinsed and drained
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1 Tb tahini
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 pinches Kosher/sea salt
- 2 Tb olive oil
- Blend all of the ingredients in a food processor, pausing and scraping down the sides at least once. Puree until very smooth. Let rest at least one hour (I like to make a batch and keep it on hand often!) Enjoy! Refrigerate, of course. Make sure you check out the other ways to fancy up your hummus and ways to use leftover hummus!
You can add roasted red peppers also or pesto to give even more flavor!
Ways to use hummus:
- Dip with brown rice crackers, vegetables
- Spread on a sandwich (or wrap) with sliced avocado, cucumber, cilantro, sprouts and sliced red onion
- Make pizza! Spread hummus on whole grain pizza dough, top with feta cheese, chicken, veggies and bake
- Make a Mezze plate for dinner: Serve hummus, toasted pita wedges, olives, feta cheese, sliced peppers and some good quality meat for a fun dinner that really satisfies!
Take a minute to check out the link to Menus by Mesa de Vida below! Allow me to take all of the guess work out of eating healthy and delicious. You just get to sit back and look like a kitchen rock star while spending more time with your family at the dinner table and less money on your groceries and eating out.