My friend, Devani Freeman, asked a question of me on Facebook – a great question! She wanted to know if I had any ideas for low sugar Valentines treats that are healthy. I started to respond then it got too long…thought I’d better make a blog post about it. Thanks for the inspiration Devani! Here are some ideas I hope you all will love!
- Grilled fruit. No it’s not summer in my neck of the woods and I’m all for cooking in season, but we are lucky enough to be able to get pretty fresh fruit at the store shipped in from all around the world. Pineapple, peaches and plums are some of my favorites. Grill on the barbecue or in a grill pan – no sugar necessary. Serve with a small, sexy dollop of fresh whipped cream, sweetened with a tiny drizzle of pure maple syrup….simple perfection
- Strawberries with Balsamic syrup. Beautiful strawberries…put these beauties on a plate. In a saucepan put 1/2 cup of balsamic vinegar and 1 Tb raw honey. Bring to a boil and let reduce to about half…a nice thick syrup. Watch this like a hawk so it doesn’t completely evaporate! Drizzle over the strawberries. Gorgeous.
- Mascarpone Cheese with fruit. Let 1 cup of Mascarpone cheese come to room temp. Whisk with a bit of stevia or some melted raw honey or a drizzle of pure maple syrup. Put into a bowl, surrounded by gorgeous fruit. Dip and feed each other…mmmmm!
- Cheese platter. Dessert isn’t always sweet! Having a late snack of some delicious artisan cheese and sliced pear is a nice ending. Try something new or pick your favorites.
- Chocolate dipped bananas. Yes, I know bananas are high in natural sugars, but it is fruit and healthy for you. Melt some dark chocolate. Dip sliced bananas in the chocolate then roll in roasted chopped nuts. Freeze until you are ready to eat them.
- Granita. You can spike these with you booze of choice if you wish. Puree watermelon or mango or peaches – add a bit of melted honey or stevia if necessary. Pour into a baking dish, freeze one hour. Scrape with a fork and return to the freezer. Scrape every hour until you have a nice slushy granita. Serve in a beautiful wine or martini glass and garnish with the chopped fruit of your choice.
- Boozed fruit. Cut up pineapple, watermelon, mango, strawberries, etc. Skewer on pretty skewers. Serve in a glass and pour in a shot of your favorite alcohol – tequila, rum, champagne, vodka, etc. This is a dessert and nightcap in one! Eat the fruit then drink the fruit infused liquor.
P.S. Have you subscribed to my blog yet? I’ll send you a free gift and you get weekly updates with new recipes and tips to healthify your life. No junk, I promise. Pick up my FREE guide to easy, affordable and health Family Favorite Recipes HERE!
Want an answer to your dinner time woes? Check out Menu’s by Mesa de Vida!