These pancakes are fluffy, delicious, high fiber, tender, nutritious and all natural! You can feel good about serving these pancakes to your family!
Pretty much everyone loves pancakes, but as a nutrition consultant all I see in a pancake is processed carbohydrates, sugar and absolutely no nutrition. Then it gets smothered with margarine and fake syrup. NOT a great start to the day.
Try these natural, delicious pancakes. They take about 5 minutes to throw together and taste amazing. Switch to these and surprise your family with a breakfast that gives their body quality nutrition and taste better than the processed typical pancakes!
Once you’ve made them don’t ruin them by adding margarine or fake syrup! Use a tiny bit of real maple syrup and/or a dab of real butter, honey or natural peanut butter. Chopped nuts are a great addition, sliced bananas. Really gild the lilly by simmering a chopped apple with a bit of real maple syrup and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Enjoy!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour OR I make mine with brown rice flour. You can also use a gluten free flour of your choice.
- 1 cup rolled oats (use gluten free certified if necessary)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp cardamom (okay to leave out if you don't have any)
- ¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 can pumpkin puree
- 8 oz plain yogurt (always use organic dairy, or use a dairy free yogurt of your choice)
- 2 Tb real maple syrup, or brown rice syrup
- 1 cup milk (I use almond milk)
- 2 Tb healthy oil/fat of your choice (I use olive oil)
- Combine the flour, oats, spices, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl whisk the eggs, pumpkin puree, yogurt, syrup, milk and oil together to combine.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients. Using a rubber scraper mix just until combined, do not over mix.
- Dollop 1/4 cup scoops of the batter onto your griddle or pan. Cook the pancakes at a bit of a lower temperature than you would typical pancakes (325 works good on a griddle.)
- Flip when bubbles appear on the top of the first side, cook about 1 more minute on the other side, until golden brown.
- Serve as you wish - enjoy! These freeze great too for quick warm breakfasts during the week.
Sign up to receive my weekly newsletter with every new recipe, other healthy tips and exclusive discounts for newsletter members only! I also send you a free gift, Mesa de Vida’s Guide To Healthy Family Favorites, upon signing up! 5 classic meals “healthified”, tips on stocking a healthy pantry and tips to make better tasting recipes, naturally!