Fajitas make a fast, healthy, satisfying meal that brings everyone to the table!
Fajitas are great for a quick weeknight dinner, or even entertaining friends and family. I also love them because they can be switched up in many different ways, so you can always bring something fresh, exciting and delicious to the table!
Making fajitas on a sheet pan in the oven is a popular technique because once you’ve done the prep work, the oven does the rest, and you can be sitting down to eat dinner in 20 minutes! But, there are some common problems with many of them that I’d love to help solve.
First, often times the sheet pan fajita recipes get reviews of being soggy, so some recipes call for the ingredients to be put onto a rack over a pan. While this does keep your ingredients from getting soggy, often times this also leads to dry fajitas since the meat is sliced so thin, by the time everything is crisped up and slightly browned (one of the best parts of the classic Tex-Mex fajitas in my opinion), the ingredients are dried out.
I prefer my fajitas to be nice and juicy, but not soggy, how about you? So, here are the ways to keep your fajitas perfectly juicy, but not too soggy:
1) Don’t salt your ingredients before cooking as this draws out the moisture. If you’re using an ordinary fajita seasoning mix go ahead and check the ingredients. 99% of them are loaded with salt, sugar, and even chemical preservatives. (These are the familiar red pouches that I grew up with, how about you?) Others require you to have a cabinet full of spices and take even more time to prepare. But, we still want great flavor, right?
Mesa de Vida heart healthy cooking sauces are versatile, concentrated flavor bases that are made simply with vegetables, fruit, whole ground spices and herbs. There is hardly any salt in them, and they are 100% real food goodness! Our Smoky Latin inspired healthy cooking sauce not only makes your fajitas (and endless other recipes) taste amazing and authentic, help you save so much time (there are over 15 whole food ingredients in each jar already prepped for you), but they also boost the nutrition of your meals! They’re concentrated flavor bases that I began making for many of my professional athlete clients to meet their doctors or trainers directions for me to get the guys to eat more vegetables, but also met my players directions to make everything taste amazing. It’s a win-win! The best thing is they are so versatile, there are so many other ways to use them! (How about using up any extra sauce you have after making this to make some Latin scrambled eggs, or spiced roasted potatoes? Find all of our recipes here.)
2) Make sure you are using a baking sheet pan that is large enough to not crowd the ingredients, and have your oven rack on the highest slot. This will allow the ingredients to stay juicy, get perfectly caramelized, but also allow most of the juices to evaporate off/get reabsorbed by the ingredients.
When you stir the ingredients half way you’ll notice there is some juice, but after the second go round in the oven most of it will be gone. Then, when you stir the final cooked fajitas they’ll be coated in the thickened, super flavorful juices. That is when you can add some salt to taste – but remember! With Mesa de Vida healthy cooking sauces you may find it flavorful enough to add much less, and sometimes none at all, compared to what you may normally find you need to get great flavor!
Here are some ways to change up the recipe and make it your own!
- Play around with the protein. Use thinly sliced beef, pork, chicken, turkey, whatever you have on hand. Shrimp is one of my favorites! You can also keep this meat-free and vegetarian (our sauces are vegan) by using tofu, tempeh, or toss in some cooked chickpeas!
- Switch up the vegetables. Use what is in season, or what you need to use up. In addition to the classic bell peppers and onion, try adding zucchini, eggplant, asparagus, thinly sliced potatoes, fresh or frozen corn kernels, mushrooms, quartered brussels sprouts, and more. You can make a new fajita variation every week of the year!
- Leftover fajitas are fantastic to mix with cooked rice or beans and roll up into burritos or make a fajita bowl, to make quesadillas with, or to add a salad. The mixture is gluten free, Paleo friendly, low-fat, low carb, so you can adjust your toppings and wraps so it fits your lifestyle!
I hope I’ve convinced you to try making sheet pan fajitas with Mesa de Vida Smoky Latin inspired healthy cooking sauce and if you do we’d love to see the dish at your table of life! Share your photo on social media, tag us and use the hashtags #MakeItWithMesadeVida and #MesadeVida! We have a monthly winner chosen from those who share!
5 Minute Prep Sheet pan Fajitas with Mesa de Vida Smoky Latin Inspired Healthy Cooking Sauce:
Makes 8 servings, or 4 servings and leftovers
1 1/2 lb chicken breast or thighs, cut into thin 1/2″ or so strips
3 bell peppers, cut into 1/2″ or so strips (I like to use a mix of colors)
1 onion (red, yellow, or white) cut in half, then cut the halves into thin slices
1/2 cup Mesa de Vida Smoky Latin inspired healthy cooking sauce
Optional: Salt and hot sauce to taste (our cooking sauce is mild, so spice it up if you like!)
Toppings of your choice: tortillas (regular, whole wheat, gluten free, paleo, corn, or try my plantain tortilla recipe), sliced radish, avocado, shredded cheese, fresh cilantro, sour cream, salsa, etc.
Preheat the broiler to high.
Brush the pan with a bit of healthy oil/fat of your choice, spray with an all-natural pan spray, or place a sheet of parchment paper down. *If you use parchment paper make sure it fits evenly in the pan with no overhang that could burn in the oven.
Add the vegetables, chicken, and Mesa de Vida Smoky Latin inspired healthy cooking sauce to the pan, toss to coat, then spread out evenly in the pan.
Broil 10 minutes, then give everything a stir. Broil for 10 more minutes.
Stir, add salt and hot sauce to taste, serve it up and enjoy!
Sign up so you won’t miss out on our exclusive discounts and fresh new recipes delivered straight to your email!
Are you trying to live a real-food lifestyle and need help? We have free tips, grocery lists for healthy staples to keep on hand and downloads to help you achieve the Mesa de Vida lifestyle over here!