This easy-to-make power bowl recipe is nourishing, satisfying, and delicious. The perfect flavor-packed meal any time of day!
This recipe is a great meal-prep option, as well.
Make the ingredients ahead of time and store them in the refrigerator so you can assemble this tasty bowl whenever you're ready to nourish yourself.
Low Sodium | Heart Healthy | Whole30 & Paleo friendly Variations | 100% Plant-Based & Vegetarian Variations
Choose Your Flavor Adventure Options
Versatile! Use whatever ingredients you have on hand at the time, what you are craving or the macros you're going for.
You can create a new meal every time you make this! Or just have plenty of tasty options to choose from waiting for you in the refrigerator.
- The flavor base: Where it all starts! Use any of Mesa de Vida's Recipe Starter Sauces to cook with the meat/meat alternative for this recipe. Choose your own globally-inspired flavor adventure every time you make this! The saucy, flavor-packed protein is what you'll build your other ingredients around. You don't have to do any extra chopping or shopping for ingredients, or have to keep a cabinet full of spices and herbs on hand. Just Make it with Mesa de Vida!
- The protein: Use any ground meat/meat alternative, crumbled tempeh or tofu, or even cooked beans for the protein option. Stir in some jalapenos or extra chilies while you're sauteing this up if you like your food extra spicy!
- The energy sustainers: Use any cooked grain/seed you like - quinoa, fonio, rice, couscous, pasta, farro, etc. Or skip it/swap in riced cauliflower if you're following a Whole30/Paleo/Low-Carb eating plan or lifestyle.
- The greens: Use any green vegetable you like - spinach, kale, bok choy, chard, dandelion greens, broccoli are all great.
- The vitamin-packed energy boosters: For your carby root vegetables, sweet potatoes can be swapped for regular potatoes, carrots, parsnips, butternut, or other squash all work great.
- The finishing touch: I appreciate certain hot sauces or finishing sauces, but when your meal is flavorful and delicious - why cover all of that flavor up? (Which is what so many of them do). When you start with something great, you won't have to cover up the flavor! I like to brighten the flavor of my meals with a touch of heat, flavor, AND a boost of nutrition and probiotics by mixing in a spoonful of fermented vegetables like Daikon Radish kimchi from Olive my Pickle, or Salsa Viva kraut from Firefly Kitchens.
CHOOSE YOUR FLAVOR ADVENTURE POWER BOWL RECIPE
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Get your grain/seed of choice on to cook, which usually takes about 20 minutes. *Start this step first if you're cooking brown rice.
- Slice/chop your carby vegetable of choice into 1/2" slices or 1" cubes and place them on the baking pan. Drizzle with a touch of healthy oil/fat of your choice and add salt and pepper to taste. Bake for about 15 minutes until golden brown and tender.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add your meat/meat alternative/crumbled tofu/tempeh or cooked beans to the pan with your Mesa de Vida Recipe Starter Sauce of choice. Add salt to your own taste/health needs. Stir and cook until the meat is cooked/the ingredients are hot and bubbly in that fruit & veggie-packed saucy goodness! TIP: Instead of adding extra oil, add a spoonful of water if the ingredients begin to stick to the pan.
- Remove the cooked protein base to a bowl to keep warm, then add your green veggies to the pan. Add a spoonful of water to help the process along/to keep from sticking. Season with salt and pepper to taste/health needs, and cook until just cooked through. Remove from the pan and keep warm until serving.
- Assemble your bowls with a portion of each ingredient, top with your fermented veggie of choice, and enjoy!
- Store the remaining ingredients in the refrigerator so you can assemble your protein bowl super fast when you're ready to enjoy another meal!