One easy recipe, endless possibilities. Mesa de Vida makes it easy for you to make it amazing!
Easy Chicken and Rice Bake – with a Global Gourmet Twist!
Two simple ingredients – chicken and rice – transform into an incredibly flavorful meal, elevated with a global gourmet twist when you make it with our globally-inspired gourmet recipe starter sauces!
This easy chicken and rice bake is perfect for a nourishing, versatile, satisfying chicken dinner that practically cooks itself.
Chicken and rice – a nourishing mainstay across the globe.
One-pot chicken and rice dishes are popular all around the world. There is arroz con pollo from Mexico and Spain, Jambalaya that is popular in the American South, West-African Jollof chicken and rice, Spanish paella, Greek chicken and rice pilafi, Indian biryani, Trinidadian pelau, Low Country pilau, and the list goes on and on.
Try this versatile chicken and rice recipe with any one of our recipe starter sauces for a meal that is your passport to a whole new global flavor every time you make it!
So easy anyone can make it. So delicious your guests will think you ordered it in from a restaurant!
Feel free to get creative and make this dish your own! You can use whole or cut up chicken, add sausage, keep it vegetarian and use cooked beans in place of the meat, add vegetables to your liking (diced carrots, peas, chopped onion, diced tomatoes, chopped bell peppers, frozen spinach, chopped kale, etc.) The possibilities are endless with this easy, go-to meal you can enjoy any night of the week.
Here are a few of my favorite combinations to change up this one-pot chicken and rice bake every time I make it:
- Chicken + our Mediterranean flavor recipe starter sauce + eggplant or zucchini
- Chicken + our Smoky Latin flavor recipe starter sauce + quartered mushrooms and diced carrots and bell pepper (a’la arroz con pollo)
- Chicken + sliced smoked sausage +our Creole flavor recipe starter sauce + diced onion and green peppers, or chopped okra (fresh or frozen) (a’la jambalaya)
- Chicken + our Caribbean flavor recipe starter sauce + chopped kale + finely diced sweet potatoes
- Chicken + our North African flavor recipe starter sauce + cooked chickpeas + preserved lemon + diced bell peppers + diced carrots
Watch me make this easy chicken and rice meal for dinner in the video below, then save the recipe to make it yourself! Add this go-to recipe to your weekly menu rotation and never get bored!
Cheers, and enjoy!
Easy Global Gourmet Chicken and Rice Bake
- 2 tsp healthy oil/fat of your choice
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs and/or drumsticks and/or breast pieces Leave the skin on, or remove if you like. You can also use boneless, skinless chicken, sliced cooked sausage, or even shrimp. If you do, add the chicken (or shrimp or sausage) back into the rice 10 minutes after you put the rice into the oven. *Make a vegetarian version and swap out the chicken for canned beans, skip the browning process.
- 1/2 jar Mesa de Vida Global Cooking & Seasoning Sauce Try any one of our amazing global flavors for a whole new meal each time you make this recipe!
- 3 cups high quality/homemade broth or stock of your choice (chicken, vegetable, mushroom, etc.)
- salt and pepper to taste Mesa de Vida recipe starters are extremely low in sodium so you can adjust the salt to your own taste/health needs.
- 1 1/2 cups white rice swap out for quinoa if you like, also!
- any chopped vegetables you like optional
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Dry the chicken well with a paper towel, then season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat an oven-proof skillet with high sides and a lid (like a chicken fryer pan), or a Dutch Oven over medium-high heat. When hot add oil, swirl to coat. Add the chicken into the pan fat (skin side down if you leave the skin on), then leave it alone to develop a deep golden brown crust. Flip the chicken pieces over, then lower the heat to low. Cook until the chicken is deep golden-brown on the second side, then remove the chicken to a plate.
- Add the Mesa de Vida cooking sauce, rice, broth, and salt to taste to the pan, stir to combine. *Add any additional vegetables at this point if you like. Nestle the chicken pieces back into the pan then cover.
- Place the chicken and rice into the oven, bake for 35 minutes (if your chicken pieces are especially large, cook for 45 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 170 degrees.)
- Fluff the flavorful rice with a fork, serve, and enjoy!
EXPLORE MESA DE VIDA
- Cooking tips
- Cooking with Pantry Staples
- In The Media
- Meal Planning
- Caribbean recipes
- Creole recipes
- Easy Recipes
- Global Gourmet Pizza Series
- Gluten free recipes
- Healthy beef recipes
- Healthy chicken recipes
- Healthy Seafood Recipes
- Mediterranean Recipes
- North African recipes
- Not So Basic Basics Series
- Pasta Series
- Slow Cooker & Pressure Cooker Recipes
- Smoky Latin recipes
- Soup Recipes
- Vegetarian Recipes
- Whole30, Paleo, Grain Free, Legume Free recipes
- Slow Cooker & Pressure Cooker Recipes