If you’re looking for a healthy Shepherd’s Pie recipe, you’ve come to the right spot!
This healthy, easy Shepherds Pie recipe has a global gourmet touch that makes it completely next-level exciting and delicious! This Whole30 and Paleo-friendly recipe is the perfect thing to make with leftovers from making our one-pan oven-braised meat and vegetables recipe, but you can also can make it in about 45 minutes if you have some ground meat and a frozen vegetable blend on hand.
It is so simple to make, and our healthy global cooking and seasoning sauce transforms every day, simple ingredients into a restaurant-quality meal that will make you look like a gourmet chef! Switch up the ground meat of your choice and any of our healthy gourmet cooking and seasoning sauces to make a new, exciting, Shepherd’s Pie recipe every week of the month.
A Shepherd’s Pie recipe that is Paleo friendly, Whole30 compliant is simple and on the table quick with Mesa de Vida in your pantry!
I get by with a little help from my pantry and freezer staples, how about you? As a busy working mom with kids in sports, I truly rely on healthy conveniences such as Mesa de Vida cooking and seasoning sauces, and frozen vegetables.
I know I can make an exciting meal that everyone in my family loves, and it doesn’t have to require a ton of time, ingredients, or skill to make.
What should I make with my leftover pot roast? One of the best ways to put leftovers to good use is to make this healthy Shepherd’s Pie!
If you have some time to plan your meals for the week, I highly suggest you make a big batch of our One-Pan Oven-Braised meat and vegetables meal as the base for this recipe. Take the leftovers from that meal, mash it up a bit, then top with this delicious butternut squash and cauliflower topping. It is truly an incredible meal that is half-way cooked for me on the night I want to make it!
I like to top our Shepherd’s Pie with this topping of freezer-staples cubed butternut squash, and/or cubed sweet potatoes, and cauliflower rice. It creates a lighter, flavorful topping as a stand in for the mashed potatoes that are the traditional Shepherd’s Pie topping.
I hope you try it soon!
Shepherd's Pie Recipe. Whole30 | Paleo | Healthy | Easy
- 2 tsp healthy oil/fat of your choice optional
- 3 cups Leftover oven-braised meat and vegetables
- 1 to 1/12 lb ground meat of your choice
- 1 jar Mesa de Vida healthy global gourmet cooking and seasoning sauce of your choice
- 2 cups frozen chopped vegetable blend of your choice I love a blend that includes carrots and green beans. You can also use finely diced carrots, celery, and any other vegetables of your choice, instead.
- 1/2 bag frozen cubed butternut squash and/or sweet potatoes About 5 ounces (Or you can use 1 cup fresh butternut squash or sweet potatoes, cut into 1" pieces.)
- 1/2 bag frozen cauliflower rice About 5 ounces (Or you can use 1 cup fresh cauliflower florets, finely chopped.)
- 2 Tb ghee, olive oil, or butter
- Salt to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat, when hot add oil (optional) and swirl to coat. Add the meat, frozen vegetables, Mesa de Vida healthy global gourmet cooking and seasoning sauce of your choice, and salt to taste. Cook, breaking up the meat and stirring often, until the meat and vegetables are thoroughly cooked, about 25 minutes. (Using leftover meat and vegetables? Skip to the next step.)
- Meanwhile, place the cubed butternut squash and/or sweet potatoes and cauliflower rice into a sauce pan, cover with water. Bring to a boil, then simmer until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain very well and place back into the pot with ghee/olive oil/butter (butter is not Whole30 or Paleo friendly, but ghee and olive oil is). Mash well, or blend into a smooth puree with an immersion blender. Season to taste with salt.
- Place the meat mixture into an oven-safe casserole dish, top with the butternut squash/sweet potato and cauliflower puree. Spread evenly. Use the tines of a fork to create lines across the top if you like.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and bubbly.
- Serve and enjoy!