This is a simple and delicious recipe for a fresh take on a healthier enchilada casserole that may just become a new family favorite!
Why do I love making enchilada casserole instead of traditional enchiladas? For one, they are faster – no rolling! Second, I can use less tortillas, saving a few calories while still enjoying a generous, satisfying portion. (For this recipe for 4-6 servings I used just 6 small corn tortillas. )
Choose your favorite base (lean ground beef, turkey, ground or diced chicken, or tofu or beans) sauteed in Mesa de Vida Smoky Latin inspired cooking sauce. The sauce brings a load of veggies, spices and herbs to the dish, all you have to do is pour it on! Alternatively, if you have some extra shredded meat that has been slow cooked with our healthy cooking sauces (you know we’re all about meal prepping and making leftovers), simply reheat it with your vegetables of choice.
Speaking of the vegetables, I’m always looking to bump up the veggie factor in our meals (even though our sauces are equivalent to a serving of vegetables – no chopping on your part) so I like to add some chopped zucchini and frozen corn to the meat or bean mixture. If I have extra mushrooms hanging around, they get diced up and go into the pot too. This is a great way to use up your garden bounty in the summer, or just clean out the veggie drawer at the end of the week.
Make this recipe in about 40 minutes, active cooking time about 10 minutes. Be a real kitchen rock star and make two at the same time, This freezes great!
These are just the kind of recipes I like to make on a busy week night. Keeping a supply of Mesa de Vida healthy cooking sauces on hand mean tasty, delicious, healthy meals in minutes are within reach – and the aroma of our cooking sauces ensure the entire family is excited to the table! (Stock up now!)
Healthier Enchilada Casserole
1-2 tsp healthy oil/fat of your choice
1 lb ground or diced meat of your choice, or 1 lb of firm tofu, crumbled, or 2 cans of rinsed and drained beans (Using leftover meat or beans? Simply reheat with some extra sauce and add in the extra vegetables of your choice.)
1/2 – 3/4 jar Mesa de Vida Smoky Latin inspired cooking sauce
1 zucchini, diced (optional)
1 cup frozen or fresh corn (optional)
Salt and hot sauce to taste
6 corn tortillas
1 1/2 cups (or to taste) shredded cheese (We like a blend of cheddar, jack and cotija)
Fresh cilantro, sour cream, jalapenos for topping (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat, when hot add oil, swirl to coat.
- Add the meat/tofu/beans, Mesa de Vida Smoky Latin inspired cooking sauce, vegetables (if using), season to taste with salt and hot sauce. Cook, stirring constantly, until the meat is fully cooked and most of the liquid has cooked off.
- Layer the meat/tofu/bean mixture, tortillas (torn to fit) and cheese in a lightly greased casserole dish, alternating layers, finishing with a meat and cheese mixture.
- Bake, covered with foil, for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and cook for 10 more minutes to get golden brown and bubbly.