Are you looking for a healthy, simply chicken enchilada recipe? Then this recipe is perfect for you!
Mesa de Vida Smoky Latin Inspired Healthy Cooking Sauce contains all of the perfectly balanced seasonings you need to make this crowd pleasing recipe without all of the excess sodium, sugar or processed ingredients that other sauces often contain.
First, you’ll saute your meat in our heart-healthy cooking sauce. (Switch it up by adding veggies, beans, rice, quinoa, the list could go on and on.) All of the seasonings and flavor packed veggies are in the jar, you just pour it on and saute! (Check out our clean ingredients here.)
By leaving a bit of the sauce behind in the jar you’ll then use that to create your own homemade enchilada sauce, by adding just a touch of vinegar, salt and honey, that will coat the tortillas and add SO much flavor. With just a few simple ingredients you’ll create a family favorite meal that comes together in a snap!Use corn tortillas, whole wheat tortillas, or you can even keep this recipe gluten free and even grain free by using tortillas such as Siete brand.
Want to make Paleo enchiladas? Try my plantain tortillas! I’ll include the recipe below. Then, instead of cheese slather them with avocado-lime crema (soft avocado blended with a bit of lime and salt). YUM!
I hope you enjoy this healthy chicken enchilada recipe! I’d love to see the love and nourishment on your table of life, please feel free to share with us on Facebook or Instagram! Also, don’t forget to Pin It!
Healthy Chicken Enchilada Recipe
- 1 jar Mesa de Vida Smoky Latin healthy cooking sauce
- 1 lb diced chicken breast or thighs Substitute meat, veggies, beans, grains of your choice
- Salt and hot sauce to taste
- Tortillas of your choice corn, whole wheat, gluten free, grain free, etc.
- 1 cup shredded cheese of your choice
- Toppings of your choice such as salsa, sour cream, guacamole, sliced avocado, sliced onion, olives, fresh cilantro
- 1 Tb honey or agave nectar
- 1 tsp white vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, when hot add your meat and half of the jar of Mesa de Vida Smoky Latin healthy cooking sauce, plus salt and hot sauce to taste. Stirring often, simmer until the chicken is just cooked through and you have a thick, rich sauce.
- Divide the filling among your tortillas of choice. Roll and place into a baking dish.
- To make the sauce simply add the honey (or agave), vinegar and a pinch of salt to taste to the rest of the Smoky Latin inspired cooking sauce, replace the lid and shake to combine, or whisk to combine. Pour the sauce over the enchiladas. (You can also make this before and instead of pouring the sauce on the tortillas you can dip each tortilla into the sauce.)
- Top with shredded cheese to taste.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Remove the cover and turn the heat up to 450 degrees. Bake for 5-10 more minutes until golden brown and bubbly.
P.S. Your kitchen is going to smell SO. Good.
Plantain Tortilla Recipe
- 2-3 ripe plantains (2 large/medium or 3 small), slightly to fully ripe (do not use very green plantains, ripen them in a paper bag until slightly to fully yellow)
- 2 Tb coconut oil melted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch Kosher/sea salt
- Additional water as needed
- Parchment paper this is very necessary, if you don’t have it you will have to add a lot of oil to your baking pan to keep these from sticking)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place the plantains, coconut oil, baking powder and salt in the blender and blend.
- Add additional water in 1 Tb increments, along with scraping down the sides occasionally, until you have the consistency of thick pancake batter.
- Place a large spoonful of the batter on the parchment paper lined baking pan for each tortilla and smooth into an approximately 4” diameter round. It helps to wet the back of the spoon to keep it from sticking to the batter.
- Bake for 10 minutes, flip and bake another 10 minutes until very lightly golden brown and pliable. Enjoy!