This recipe for perfect, flavorful rice is going to knock your socks off! I was asked often by my clients how I made such perfectly fluffy, tender, flavor-packed rice, and now I’m sharing my secret with you!
A healthier alternative to packaged, seasoned rice.
I’ve got a how-to video down below that will show you how easy it is to make amazing, flavorful rice with a global gourmet twist that makes the perfect healthy rice recipe for rice lovers.
What I’ll show you is that the first step to great savory rice that results in every grain being separate and fluffy, is to rinse and drain your rice in a fine mesh strainer. I have made it without taking this step, and it works fine, but the rice gets even fluffier when you do take the additional step of rinsing it.
The next step is toasting the rice in just a tiny bit of oil. This coats each grain of rice, and toasts it up just a bit. This step also brings up the flavor of the rice, making it nice and nutty, which adds another dimension of flavor to ordinary rice.
How to make flavorful rice.
Now comes the flavor! Mesa de Vida’s globally inspired gourmet cooking and seasoning sauces are concentrated flavor bases made with vegetables, fruit, spices and herbs. (See all of the ways you can use them here. Salt, pepper, Mesa de Vida – it’s all you need!)
You can use any one of our global flavor bases for this recipe. Latin, North African, Creole, Caribbean, each one brings it’s own unique dimension of flavor that you just dollop on by the spoonful and creates amazing flavor to the simplest of ingredients…like rice!
Simmer the rice in water, or add even more savory flavor with broth. Use bone broth and amp up the nutrition even more.
Turn rice into a complete meal. (With Mesa de Vida, this basic is not-so-basic.)
Add protein and a vegetable and you’ve got a complete meal in one pot under 30 minutes.
Brown your protein of choice (if using meat), then proceed with the recipe, below. You’ll lift the lid to an incredible quick-fix meal with a global gourmet twist that is leaps and bounds better than any boxed rice meal kit you’ll ever have!
Some great additions would be chicken and broccoli, frozen green beans and beef, or beans and chopped zucchini, but the combinations are only limited by your imagination. Here are some of my family’s favorite combinations:
- Ground lamb, chopped eggplant, and our North African cooking and seasoning sauce.
- Cubed chicken or tofu, zucchini, and our Smoky Latin cooking and seasoning sauce.
- Shrimp, crumbled or chopped sausage, frozen okra, and our Creole cooking and seasoning sauce for a quick and easy dirty rice/jambalaya inspired meal.
- Thin sliced sirloin steak, chopped kale, and our Caribbean cooking and seasoning sauce.
- You can make a quick and easy paella-inspired meal with thinly sliced chorizo, roasted red bell peppers, our Smoky Latin cooking and seasoning sauce, and use saffron broth for the liquid. (Find our authentic Paella recipe, here.)
I hope you enjoy the amazing rice-based meals you’ll create with Mesa de Vida, I’m sure they’ll bring life to your table! I’d love to see the global gourmet creations you make, be sure to share them with us!