A vegetarian, gluten free, simple, yet stunning Mediterranean lasagna with polenta and an easy eggplant caponota.
This Mediterranean caponata polenta lasagna recipe is perfect for a meatless main entree, or as a side dish. At home on the weeknight table, or great for entertaining when you need to bring an easy, delicious side dish that can also be held at room temperature.
Our amazing Mediterranean cooking and seasoning sauce makes quick work of this gourmet meal while delivering all of the deep Mediterranean flavors you’re looking for in a perfectly balanced flavor base.
What is caponata?
Caponata is a stew-like blend of vegetables that is typically Sicilian, but said to originate in the Corsican region of the Mediterranean. Eggplant, capers, and vinegar are typical in caponata, but common regional versions also include potatoes, olives, bell peppers, and raisins. I imagine it was a typical dish to make using the bounty of the Mediterranean garden.
If you are looking for more eggplant recipes, then this caponata is perfect and versatile. Mesa de Vida Mediterranean cooking sauce is a great pantry staple to transform simple ingredients into something amazing, and this caponata recipe is the perfect example!
Other uses for caponata:
- Toss with pasta or chickpeas
- Use as a braising recipe, or topping, for fish, chicken and other meat
- Mash a bit after cooking and serve as a spread for bread, or Bruschetta-style
- Take your caponata to Morocco by switching out our Mediterranean cooking and seasoning sauce with our North African cooking and seasoning sauce for a whole new flavor profile that would be incredible as well!
Healthy lasagna recipe.
Rolls of cooked polenta make an easy and delicious, gluten free stand in for traditional lasagna pasta sheets. This transforms this vegetarian lasagna recipe into something unique and beautiful, but you can also make it the traditional way with cooked lasagna pasta.
Make this recipe grain free, Whole30, or Paleo friendly: skip the polenta and layer in fried lengthwise slices of zucchini or eggplant, and skip the cheese.
I hope you love this easy vegetarian, gluten free lasagna recipe made with a global gourmet touch with Mesa de Vida!
Mediterranean Caponata and Polenta Lasagna Recipe
- 2 tsp healthy oil/fat of your choice
- 1 eggplant diced
- 1 zucchini diced
- 1 jar Mesa de Vida Mediterranean cooking and seasoning sauce
- 1/4 cup raisins, optional the raisins add a lovely sweetness to balance the bitter qualities of the eggplant. If you don't want to use raisins you can add some currants, or for a different sweet balance a bit of diced red onion
- 1 roll cooked polenta cut into thin slices
- 1 cup crumbled feta and/or grated parmesan cheese I love to use both for this dish!
- 2 Tb toasted pine nuts and fresh basil, optional
- Salt to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Choose a small to medium baking dish with low sides for your lasagna.
- Optional step: While the caponata filling cooks, arrange the polenta slices on a baking dish, season with salt, and bake until lightly golden brown. This step improves the texture of the pre-cooked polenta and deepens the flavor, but isn't necessary.
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat, when hot add oil, swirl to coat. Add the eggplant and zucchini to the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly golden brown.
- Stir in the Mesa de Vida Mediterranean cooking and seasoning sauce, raisins, and salt to taste. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, then remove from heat.
- Prepare your baking dish by coating with a bit of oil or butter. Layer in sauce, polenta slices, and cheese until you have all of your ingredients used up. Unlike a regular lasagna, the polenta slices may not cover every layer completely. Alternate the arrangement of the slices so every spoonful has an even amount of components.
- Bake until golden brown and bubbly, about 15 minutes. Garnish with fresh basil and toasted pine nuts, and enjoy!
- This can also be served at room temperature.
EXPLORE MESA DE VIDA
- Cooking tips
- In The Media
- Meal Planning
- Caribbean recipes
- Creole recipes
- Easy Recipes
- Global Gourmet Pizza Series
- Gluten free recipes
- Healthy beef recipes
- Healthy chicken recipes
- Healthy Seafood Recipes
- Mediterranean Recipes
- North African recipes
- Not So Basic Basics Series
- Slow Cooker & Pressure Cooker Recipes
- Smoky Latin recipes
- Soup Recipes
- Vegan Recipes
- Whole30, Paleo, Grain Free, Legume Free recipes
- Slow Cooker & Pressure Cooker Recipes