An amazing quick and healthy Mediterranean chicken recipe with 4 ingredients.
Mesa de Vida Mediterranean cooking and seasoning sauce you transform chicken and chickpeas into a global gourmet one-pot wonder. This delicious meal takes minutes to prep, practically cooks itself, and you don’t even have to pick up a knife.
All of the incredible flavor comes from our gourmet Mediterranean cooking sauce which contains all of the classic Mediterranean flavors, perfectly balanced and ready for you to bring the simplest of ingredients to life.
A healthy Mediterranean meal is easy and amazing when you use Mesa de Vida!
What is a cassoulet?
A cassoulet is a rich, hearty, oven baked stew that combines meat and/or vegetables with beans. Typically a meal that originated in the South of France that combines white beans, often sausage and chicken or rabbit, and a thick sauce made that results from slow cooking aromatic vegetables.
Cassoulet is also the name of dish that this slow cooked casserole is traditionally cooked in, which a flat, round baking dish with sides.
If you don’t have a cassoulet you can use Dutch oven, or large round heavy pot, both of which work beautifully to make cassoulet in. The beauty of the pot is it goes from stove top, where you can get a nice sear on the meat, straight to the oven to finish cooking.
Mediterranean Chicken and Chickpeas
I prefer to use a whole cut up chicken, bone-in chicken thighs, or chicken legs, all with the skin on when I make this cassoulet recipe. You can also use boneless, skinless chicken pieces and it will cook even faster.
You can also swap the meat for beef, sausage, lamb, or pork cuts if you’d like, which is equally delicious. This recipe tastes fabulous with oxtail or short ribs, too. If you choose a cut of meat that needs longer cooking time, just add a bit of extra water after you add the Mediterranean cooking sauce to the pan, and only add the beans during the last hour of cooking.
If you’d like to make this a vegetarian dish, large chunks of eggplant, zucchini and bell peppers would make a great base for a Mediterranean inspired vegetarian cassoulet recipe.
This recipe is made for Sunday dinner, but is just as easy for a weeknight dinner when you’re craving healthy comfort food, too. (How great would your house smell with this Mediterranean cassoulet recipe slow cooking all day?)
Chickpeas (or garbanzo beans) work so well in this cassoulet, I am almost convinced they’re better than white beans for cassoulet. They keep a nice al dente bite to them, even after braising for an hour in the richly flavored sauce, and chicken jus. They soak up all of that gorgeous flavor and are absolutely heavenly. I can’t wait for you to try!
Canned chickpeas work perfectly for this, just make sure you rinse and drain them well, first. If you choose to use soaked, rinsed, and cooked dried chickpeas, make sure you cook the chickpeas about half way before adding them to the cassoulet so they keep some bite.
This healthy chicken cassoulet recipe is a complete meal on it’s own, but I like to serve it with a simple salad on the side. You can also add strips of roasted red peppers or spicy marinated Italian peppers if you like, saute sliced mushrooms with the chicken to start the recipe, or stir in some finely minced kale or spinach if you’d like to add some extra vegetables, too.
If you need to stretch this recipe to feed a crowd, or just want to switch it up, you can also shred the chicken, add some cooked pasta, and toss everything with the chickpeas and sauce. Add a bit of grated parmesan or feta cheese for a completely different, and equally delicious, take on this easy recipe.
This recipe would work with any of our other global gourmet flavors as well, and is particularly amazing with our North African gourmet cooking and seasoning sauce. Switch up the sauce for a fresh new take on this delicious and simple recipe every week!
I hope you enjoy this Mediterranean Chicken and Chickpea Cassoulet recipe made with Mesa de Vida Gourmet Mediterranean cooking and seasoning sauce! Cheers!
Mediterranean Chicken Cassoulet Recipe
- 2 tsp healthy oil/fat of your choice
- 4-8 chicken pieces (bone-in thigh, whole cut up chicken, boneless, skinless chicken pieces, etc.)
- 1 jar Mesa de Vida Mediterranean cooking and seasoning sauce
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 2 tb water or broth
- Optional: salt to taste, red pepper flakes to taste, fresh basil for garnish Mesa de Vida cooking and seasoning sauces are low in sodium, so you can add salt to your own tastes and needs
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Meanwhile, heat a large heavy pot, or Dutch oven, over medium heat. When hot add oil, swirl to coat.
- Add chicken pieces and cook until golden brown on all sides.
- Pour in the jar of Mesa de Vida Mediterranean cooking and seasoning sauce. Add salt to taste. Stir and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add 2 Tb water or broth to the empty jar, give it a shake to get all of the concentrated, vegetable-based flavor out of the jar, and pour into the pot.
- Add chickpeas to the pot, stir everything together gently, and make sure your chicken pieces are nestled into the chickpeas and sauce.
- Cover and put into the oven. Bake until the chicken is cooked through and tender. For bone-in pieces such as thighs and legs, this will take 50-60 minutes. For larger pieces cook longer, for smaller, boneless pieces of meat, start checking for doneness at about 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, uncover, and rest for 10 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
EXPLORE MESA DE VIDA
- Cooking tips
- Cooking with Pantry Staples
- In The Media
- Meal Planning
- Caribbean recipes
- Creole recipes
- Easy Recipes
- Global Gourmet Pizza Series
- Gluten free recipes
- Healthy beef recipes
- Healthy chicken recipes
- Healthy Seafood Recipes
- Mediterranean Recipes
- North African recipes
- Not So Basic Basics Series
- Slow Cooker & Pressure Cooker Recipes
- Smoky Latin recipes
- Soup Recipes
- Vegetarian Recipes
- Whole30, Paleo, Grain Free, Legume Free recipes
- Slow Cooker & Pressure Cooker Recipes