Smoky Latin Carnitas Platter
Servings: 4 to 10 servings
For the Smoky Latin carnitas
- 1 jar Mesa de Vida Smoky Latin cooking & seasoning sauce
- 2-3 lb pork roast bone-in for the best flavor, but any pork roast will work.
- 2 Tb water *pour the water into the empty jar of Mesa de Vida and shake it up to get all of the concentrated flavor out of the jar!
- Salt and hot sauce to taste
For the toppings
- 2 bell peppers thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
- 2 tsp healthy oil/fat of your choice
- guacamole, chopped lettuce, pico de gallo salsa *not Whole30/Paleo, but my family likes to add cooked rice, corn, and black beans to their bowls
Smoky Latin Carnitas
To make the Smoky Latin carnitas in the slow cooker: Place the sauce, pork, water, salt and hot sauce to taste into the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Shred the meat and toss with the delicious juices.
To make the Smoky Latin carnitas in the oven low and slow: Place the sauce, pork, water salt and hot sauce to taste into a large baking dish. Cover with foil and cook at 250 degrees for 4-6 hours until fall-apart tender.
To make the Smoky Latin carnitas in the oven quick-cook method: Increase water to 1/2 cup. Cut the pork roast up into 2" pieces before proceeding as above. Cover with foil and cook in a 400 degree preheated oven for 2 hours until fall-apart tender.
*You'll have plenty of saucy, delicious, tender Smoky Latin carnitas when you make this! Enjoy the leftover meat in countless ways for several more days!
Sauteed peppers and onions
Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat, when hot add oil/fat, swirl to coat. Add the peppers and onions, cook until soft, tender, and slightly charred.
To assemble the platter
Arrange the chopped lettuce, saucy Smoky Latin carnitas, sauteed peppers and onions, and toppings of your choice onto a platter. Toss just before serving, or let everyone take what they like to toss together on their own plate.