Caribbean Chickpea & Potato Stew Recipe
Simple, Caribbean flavors that can be served as a stew, or serve in roti with a mango salsa for a simple Trinidadian-inspired take on the Double Up!
- 1 jar Mesa de Vida Caribbean inspired healthy cooking sauce
- 2 cans chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 2 large potatoes washed and cubed
- 1 cup water
- Salt to taste and chopped hot chili pepper to taste, optional
- Optional for serving – roti or other soft bread of your choice (defrosted pizza dough, rolled into 2” balls and rolled flat then fried up works great), mango salsa
Pour the Mesa de Vida Caribbean inspired healthy cooking sauce, chickpeas, potatoes and 1 cup of water, salt and hot peppers to taste into a large skillet with tall sides (or a dutch oven) over medium heat Stir and bring to a simmer. If your pot looks like the water is evaporating quick, add a bit more water. You want just enough to fully cook the potatoes and achieve a stew-like consistency, but not enough to make it soupy.
*Or cook in an electric pressure cooker for 10 minutes.
Lower the heat to low and cover. Cook for 20-30 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
Serve as a stew, or wrapped up in roti and topped with mango salsa if you wish. Enjoy!